Our future depends on our ability on how quickly we grasp the new incoming trends, and digital innovations and make them a part of our life both professionally and personally. Our idea and thoughts behind a particular innovation and how we further spur the innovation. Businesses more so, have shifted from the de facto mode to functional mode, adopting and embracing new trends and technologies within their business.
Remembering KODAK, a magnanimous 128 years old company, which had to, unfortunately, file for bankruptcy owing to multiple reasons for its failure. So what went wrong ? Once a great inventor failed to innovate.
4 big lessons to learn from the historical epic camera company KODAK.
1. Always keep a watch on “The next big thing” – While it’s absolutely essential to capture your existing market and cater to their requirements, it is also crucial to forsee what’s coming up next within your industry. – Stay alert!
2. Don’t forget where your roots are – It’s good to reinvent yourself when it’s time to change, but in the midst of change one should not forget what your core offerings are and what has got you to the position where you are right now. Balancing is the right thing!
3. Technology changes, but what value you offer should not – Technology and innovation go hand in hand and it is important to take notice of what is appealing to the customers as per the digital age. What may be working for you as a company may not be what the customers are looking for, make sure your product offerings are valuable for customers’ choices.
4. Stay flexible and be quick to respond to changes – In this age of complex data and ever-changing information, the ability to make smart decisions and in real-time is more important to growth than conservative techniques which have “always” worked in the past.
Markets are constantly changing and with massive industry shifts and eroding business models, technology offers opportunities to stay in the game.
Here are five ways you can develop to be more innovative.
1. Curate ideas, content, processes – Strong curation skills lead to more innovative ideas since curation requires more filters, organisers, selection and presentation using professional or expert knowledge, be better at it through constantly experimenting and trials, deciding what works best. It could be a strategy, a business process or a client solution.
2. Broaden your horizons and get out of the ruckus – don’t always follow the hood, because even the hood follows someone, it’s time to be that someone; by constantly innovating and acknowledging new innovations or by being that innovation.Make a concerted effort to broaden your horizons, it could be a new conference you are attending or a new form of appraisal review for your company. By looking into new things it leads to knowledge building, which could be incorporated in one of the business verticals. Best ideas come from businesses which may be as diverse from yours.
3. Skip the synopsis, why not read the whole article? – It’s easy to just read the summary of the article and more so with all the important elements highlighted makes it all quicker to just glance over the article. Many times, this could be just good enough to what information you may require.But innovative thinking requires you to go beyond just superficially skimming things, more like a jack of all trades, master of none. To achieve mastery in a subject one should be clear in the knowledge matter it is pertaining to. You may never know, a particular line in the article may get you thinking then what the synopsis or summary couldn’t do.
4. Use technology strategically and mindfully, technology has its own rules. – What may work for one organisation may not work for you, even if you may work in the same industry. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or the other plethora of social media tools and channels will only work when they are executed in the right manner keeping in mind with the company strategies.Sometimes harnessing simple changes within the fixed company standards and policies yields some big, major, positive changes.
5. Communication and articulation lead the way – Some big companies fail to incorporate great strategies just because of worn out and outdated communication strategy. One cannot provide value unless one cannot articulate ideas clearly and effectively.It is important to have effective communication in place, to achieve the right goals as communicated and have an effective feedback system.
In order for innovation to occur, there has to be a cultural ecosystem in place which has rewards for curiosity, encourages learning from failure and promotes diversity in choices.We at Zweezle believe, innovation in every client project we take up, whatever the services may be and however big or small the size of the company be. Our services include media and video production, professional photography, web and mobile development, digital branding and lots more.